Monday, September 21, 2009

Love Dare: Day 1

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. -- Ephesians 4:2

He who is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who is quick-tempered exalts folly. -- Proverbs 14:29


See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another. -- 1 Thessalonians 5:15


Today's dare was to resolve to stay calm and patient if you feel the need to say something out of anger toward your spouse. I can honestly say that harsh words are rare between Shawn and I, but we do have our moments. Today I did not have to try to be patient because there were no issues! I do, however, resolve to practice patience in the future when problems may arise!

Pastor Phil was preaching on marriage yesterday morning and he mentioned something that hit home. He said there is a skunk and a turtle in every relationship.
One Person who gets upset and everybody knows it and one person who gets upset and retreats into their shell. I hate to admit that I am the skunk! I do not mean to and I do not want to be, but I am a very vocal and emotional person! I want to resolve to not be either, and I hope that I can help Shawn to no longer feel like the turtle. Communication is key and, although I feel like we have it down pretty well, it is something we both could work on!

I realize I cannot complete this forty day journey without patience or without having my heart one hundred percent into it. I am keeping a journal of it so I can write my thoughts and track my process; but also to use as a buddy system. When you decide to work out you normally tag up with someone so that, even when you don't want to, you always go in order not to let the other person down. If I say I am going to write it down everyday, then I have to complete the assignment.

So far our marriage has been wonderful and I wouldn't trade my husband in for anything in the world!
I know everyone says it is hard work and the bad times will come... I just try to remember that you're supposed to have FUN together. Shawn and I are best friends because we enjoy and admire each other, but also because we always have fun togethe
r. I just cannot see things getting terrible if we remember to have fun. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment